Barbara Heshellman, Osinstock, Maine

Osinstock, Maine

flea market friends
Image by anniebee via Flickr
Keys, keys, keys! I had so many keys in my hand that it was difficult to see them all. It was our annual treasure hunt at the city flea market and this year, as usual, we had to find the varies sets of car keys. Where in the world would I get the drive...a play on words...to continue to hunt for all the sets of keys I needed to win this year's competition. The 8 by 4 ft original oil painting was the grand prize, and I was out to get it this year. I stood for a few moments and began to sort out for new places to look among the happy purchaser and merchants who were strolling in and around the stands filled with crafts, goods, and hand made commodities.


Unaware of my attention, I to strolled among the persons hoping to find another set of plastic keys. Banners floating around in the wind made the booths appear lively and gay. People muddled about looking at the art and crafts this year's bizarre was selling. I continued to stroll along one side watching for the silver colors indicting another set of keys were hidden in among the products for sale...something I might add...was what I wanted. Streams of buyers passed from one booth to another stopping only to chat while sipping a fruit smoothie or hot cappuccino. I darted among them and became one more passing under the fluttering clothe streams flowing down from the paper lanterns that hung from nails along the top rail of the assembled sales booth. One by one we all passed under letting the clothe streams dance around our heads...ever searching for the freedom keys.

Still grasping onto the handful of keys I had already found, the attention and curiosity I had made about the painting and contest was subsiding. I pushed the many silver, tinkling turnettes into my waist pouch and pulled the zipper closed. Standing in the middle of the thoroughfare, I had to pause to get my focus and rethink what I had covered so far. Making a slow turn to the left, I doubled back around to head in the other direction only to get my attention caught on another possibility for the must sought after key. Heading into the nearest booth, I pushed my way among the buyers and hung in with them readjusting my hat. With the brim folded up into the front of the once ball cap, I was now wearing a little head beanie making my hidden treasure search somewhat easier....winning, I returned to this place and remember how this game made my life what it is today.

A light rain began and the smell of fresh water soon filled the air. The entire site at the bizarre was looking very thin as persons disappeared from under the canopies and from around the booths. Very few remained under the protections from the newly falling shower though little rain water was flowing under and into the sellers area. Whole amounts of products was removed from table tops and much of the crafts were now out of sight. Pushing into the crowd, the remaining deliver trucks stood waiting for its final cargo to be loaded. There stood the signs of Jesus. Turning back to look into the once occupied tents, the silence echoed the name of the lord from the lips of the few still waiting to get away from the falling rain and into a empty waiting car, used the name to say the many wonders of God. Making a quiet move, the trucks pulled away from the parking lot and with them all the workers who searched for the keys to get the big gift...salvation!